Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Persepolis (Revised)

What I noticed immediately after starting Persepolis was how American I am. What I mean by that is the fact that not only did I know nothing about the middle east's culture, but I also never really bothered to think about that either. It just never occurred in my mind. I like to learn about other cultures, so reading this was cool to see what kind of things are common in a middle eastern family. Also, it's nice to see this because it's not something to many people talk about in today's society because of the war and everyone's prejudices. As for the style of the comic, I really enjoyed the somewhat cartoony, round characters. This made the characters seem friendlier and over all made me like them more.
Reading Persepolis kind of reminded me of American Born Chinese in the sense that it was about an individual just trying to fit in. It shows that everyone has the same feelings and though something are different, we are all very similair. I think it's important that I have read this because of how little I know about other cultures. Just from being at Ringling for two years, I've noticed how important that is. After meeting some international students and hearing about how they live, it makes me realize just how much of a stereotypical American I am sometimes. That makes me upset. I am open minded, just ignorant to other cultures, so reading Persepolis just makes me want to learn more about other cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment